Our staff has received training and is proficient in the application and use of each of the following environmental evaluation methods:
- 1987 Wetland Delineation Manual
- Ohio Rapid Assessment Method for Evaluating Wetlands (ORAM)
- Qualitative Habitat Evaluation Index (QHEI)
- Primary Headwater Habitat Evaluation Index (HHEI)
- Vegetative Index of Biological Integrity (VIBI)
- Amphibian Index of Biological Integrity (AMPHI IBI)
- Headwater Macroinvertebrate Field Evaluation Index (HMFEI)
- Pre-Qualified through the Ohio Department of Transportation to provide Ecological Surveys
Paul Leist, CPG – President
Mr. Leist received his Bachelor of Science Degree in Geology from Bowling Green State University in 1999, and has over 12 years of professional geological and environmental consulting experience. He earned his professional geologist certification in 2014 (CPG #11744). As a consulting geologist and environmental scientist for the coal mining industry, Mr. Leist has taken an active role in permitting numerous SMCRA coal mining permit areas for surface and underground mining in Ohio. He has experience with the preparation of the Individual Section 404 Permit Applications, Section 404 Nationwide Permit Pre-Construction Notifications, and Jurisdictional Determination Reports for the Army Corps of Engineers Districts in Ohio. Additionally, he has prepared Section 401 Water Quality Certifications, NPDES permits, and Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plans as required by the Ohio Environmental Protection Agency.
- Certified Professional Geologist through American Institute of Professional Geologists
- American Association of Petroleum Geologists
- Geological Society of America
- Society for Sedimentary Geology
- Ohio Geological Society
- The Ohio State University CCR Mine Reclamation Workgroup
David Longfellow – Founder and Current Senior Project Manager
Mr. Longfellow received his Bachelor of Science Degree in Natural Resources, specializing in Wildlife Management, from the Ohio State University in 1976 and has over 37 years of professional environmental consulting experience in both the environmental arena and the coal mining industry. As the President of Buckeye Mineral Services, Inc. and as a project manager, Mr. Longfellow has supervised and has taken an active role in permitting over hundreds of SMCRA coal mining permits in Ohio. He has extensive experience with the preparation of the Individual Section 401 Water Quality Certifications, Individual Section 404 Permit Applications, Section 404 Nationwide Permit Pre-Construction Notifications, and Jurisdictional Determination Reports for the Army Corps of Engineers Districts in Ohio. Class III Ohio EPA Waste Water Operator Certificate.
- Ohio Coal Association- Associate Member
- Ohio Aggregates and Industrial Minerals Association- Associate Member
Mr. Kneuss received an Associate’s Degree in Geo-Environmental Sciences in 2011 from Hocking College, in Nelsonville Ohio, and has five years of professional environmental consulting experience through SMCRA coal mining permitting for surface and underground operations in the Appalachian Basin in Ohio. Mr. Kneuss has prepared individual Section 404 Permit Applications, Section 404 Nationwide Permits, Jurisdictional Determination Reports for the Army Corps of Engineers, Section 401 Water Quality Certifications, NPDES permits, ODOT Ecological Surveys, and OEPA Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plans. He also has three years’ experience conducting Unmanned Aerial Surveys and associated volumetric calculations for the mining industry.
- Certified Data Collector, Ohio EPA
- Online Watershed Academy, US EPA
- Army Corps of Engineers Wetland Delineation 38-Hour Training Program
- Ohio Rapid Assessment Method for Wetlands v. 5.0 Training
- Pre-Qualified ODOT Waterway Permitting Certification
- Pre-Qualified ODOT Ecological Survey Certification
Dennis C. Stark
Mr. Stark received an Associate of Applied Science Degree in Natural Resource Conservation in 1977 and an Associate of Applied Science Degree in Environmental Quality Control in 1978 from Muskingum Area Technical College (now Zane State College) and has over 38 years’ experience as a project manager and permit coordinator in the coal mining industry as well as in private environmental consulting. His experience includes design, layout, and permitting of SMCRA coal mining permit areas for surface and underground mines in Ohio, as well as preparation of the Individual Section 404 Permit Applications, and Jurisdictional Determination Reports for the Army Corps of Engineers, as well as the preparation of Section 401 Water Quality Certifications.
Bruce D. Eckelberry, Professional Surveyor
Mr. Eckelberry received his Associate of Applied Science Degree (major in surveying) from Muskingum Area Technical College (now Zane State University) in 1981. He became licensed as a registered surveyor in the State of Ohio in 1987.
Was employed with G.A. Stewart, Inc., a surveying & engineering company in Coshocton, Ohio, in 1981. Performed numerous projects for the oil industry (oil well locations, pipeline surveys, etc.), worked with the mining industry (Stewarts had several coal and industrial minerals permitees as clients), performed many property line surveys, and surveyed ground control points for aerial photography.
Worked on the Rocky Express pipeline in 2009 performing construction staking for three different meter sites.
Became employed with Buckeye Mineral Services in 2010. In charge of all surveying related activities (sediment pond as-builts, property line surveys, etc.). Prepares permit applications, applications, and annual and renewal maps for SMCRA and Industrial Mineral permits.
Barry J. Alexin, Professional Engineer
Mr. Alexin received his Bachelor of Science in Mining Engineering from West Virginia University in 1980 and obtained his MBA from Morehead State University in 1999.
Barry has over 40 years of experience working in the mining industry, from surface and underground coal mines, to aggregate mining throughout numerous states in the U.S. He has worked directly for the mining companies, which gives him a tremendous advantage to our clients in what he brings to Buckeye Mineral Services.
- National Member of the Society of Professional Engineers NSPE.
- National Member, Society of Mining Engineers of AIME.
- Member of the Ohio Coal Association
- Member of the Ohio Reclamation Forfeiture Fund Advisory Board
- Taught Engineering In Training (EIT) Review Classes at the University of Illinois Extension Center, Fairview Heights, Illinois, 1987-1988